.

.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Learning to Sail (continued)

Since a sailing education never really ends, I've decided to continue using the blog title "Learning to Sail." I expect that it will reappear on this website over and again.


Once I had done enough reading about sailing, I was ready to get my feet wet (at least figuratively). I looked into one-on-one instruction and the options were somewhat limited to location and not exactly what I would expect for those wanting to be frugal with cost. I also found that one-on-one instruction did not necessary provide the student with certification or proof of completion beyond the instructor's word. That would not be very helpful for building a sailing resume as required by most sailboat charter services.

That led me to investigate various commercial sailing schools. Living in the Mid-Atlantic United States provides me with relatively easy access to the reputable Annapolis School of Seamanship located in the sailing mecca, Annapolis, Maryland. This is an excellent option as the program is highly regarded by the sailing community and recognized by most charter services. The only negative for me was the lack of flexibility on class location. I had plans to complete a certain level of instruction through the winter months and that wasn't going to be comfortable or easy in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

That being said, the Annapolis School of Seamanship also offers various classes off the boat, year around (i.e. marine diesel basics). I hope to complete a selection of these excellent classroom courses someday.

I decided that the progressive program of courses available from the American Sailing Association ("ASA") would work best for me. With affiliated sailing schools located around the world, a host of qualified instructors, and a wide-ranging choice of interesting courses, the ASA offered me the best option to meet my sailing education objectives. ASA membership also provides a number of financial, commercial, and social benefits to sailors. It has been a great decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment